Have you ever tried to make yourself not be angry? Maybe you’ve tried one of my tactics to get rid of anger, some of which are really excellent things to do:
- Pray alone or with a friend
- Stuff it until it’s nicely put away on “a shelf” in my mind.
- Read scripture
- Remind myself of who I am in Christ. (i.e. I am a forgiven child of God. Jesus in me can let go of this anger. I trust you for that, Lord.)
- Distract yourself with work, TV show, book, etc.
- Recount what I’m grateful for
- Minimize the situation (It really wasn’t that bad. They didn’t mean it.)
- Talk about it with a friend (This typically fuels it more.)
Did these work for you better than they work for me for really getting rid of the anger?
I did not separate those that would be considered spiritual and most definitely better alternatives. All of these serve me well by helping me have victory in the moment (i.e. anger is arrested for the time being). But I usually find that my anger is still simmering below the surface. Continue reading